Friday, January 12, 2007

A TaxiCab Confession

Yesterday, after partaking in a stomach-bursting feast at the Melting Pot, I went to get on the metro only to find that I had just missed the last one. Awwwwwww SHIT.

I looked at the busses--it was going to be a pain, so I decided to grab a cab. Being that I'm fairly new to DC, this would only be my third cab experience...and my first two were enough to make me dread it. I'm also a horrible cab-rider; I've mainly used cabs in Europe, and as a result I never know how much to tip. This has colored my few cab rides in the U.S. and turns them into pressure-filled events where I'm terrified the cabbie will throw me out or beat me on my doorstep because I tip so poorly.

SO I grab a cab and ask him how much the fare will be. I'm about a dollar short, I tell him, and ask him if he could take me however far for the amount I have. He says, don't worry about it, I'll take you anyway!!! Gasp!! Amazement!!! A NICE DC CABBIE (in my other experiences they were TERRORS)!!! He NOT ONLY takes me a $8.80 trip for $7 (I had $7.50, he declined to take the change) but also INSISTS on waiting for me to unlock the door and wave so he's sure I'm safely inside at 'this late hour' in 'that rough neighborhood'. 'I think a young lady such as yourself should not walk around her at night,' he said to me. 'I wait for you to get inside.'

I love DC. I'll probably change my mind again in a week, but this week? Love it.

No comments: