Monday, January 22, 2007

March for Lifers

ARE EVERYWHERE. They hang out in the hallway, they come into my office, they ask me if they can go on our balcony (NO!!!) , they march past yelling Hey hey ho ho Roe v Wade has got to go!!!

The worst part is I REMEMBER PARTICIPATING in this march in high school. I went to Catholic school until I was 18 and the sophomore class trip was going to the March for Life. Why not? Get a day off school, walk around for a bit, go to the museums. The issue was presented simply as thus: there's a law that allows for women to kill babies they don't want. It was morally wrong to kill anything, therefore allowing abortion to be legal is morally wrong. I won't break into my common rant against religious schooling, but suffice to say that this is one of many issues I had with going to a religious school. The inability to tell the whole story combined with the convincing ability to twist the story to fit into the organized tenants of the religion is, frankly, terrifying.

Or else my soul has been taken over by the devil and I'm damned to hell. Depends on how you look at it.

5 comments:

fluttertongue said...

If the government gets its way we could soon see an explosion of religious schools. As a religious person I am very concerned, scared almost, at the repercussions of this: to segregate children is to make them aware of the dangers of the "other" and this will lead to ghettoisation. Nothing could be more opposite to the teachings of peace and harmony of all the major religions. Children are a multiplicity of things, not merely defined by their religion. To deprive them of the chance to interact with a representative societal demographic is to give them a considerable handicap. Amen.

Meokat said...

But the thing I always wonder--and hence my aversion to organized religion--is that the judgment and us-versus-them that base much of religious organization forces this segregation. It's not that I think that religion is inherently like this--but rather that religion in the organization hands us man has yet to overcome this problem.

fluttertongue said...

Yes - that is a problem - that's why I never liked the Christian Union on campus, but I'm organised (in a religious way) and I've never felt inherantly opposed to any non-religious or other religious people. True followers of a religion recognise that to alienate other people and to segregate yourself from them does harm to you, them and the faith.

Meokat said...

So what do you think, then, of the churches you attend? I've often thought that I would go back to attending church if I could find one that didn't give me the judgmental shivers. I've had some suggest Unitarians to me, but I've never checked it out...

fluttertongue said...

Well, I don't know a lot about American churches but I'd try and find one that's really clear about what it is teaches. Check out the Congregational churches in your area. I'm a Methodist and the thing about it is that it's just plain and honest and friendly. I think American Methodism is a little different but you can always check it out.