Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Confessions of a Bonifide Politico

I get a thrill out of working in the Senate every day. It doesn't matter what's going on, it doesn't matter that the reality of my job is exceedingly dull and unexciting, I still get a kick out of walking down the hallway of the Russell building with its high ceilings, dark woodwork and lush carpeting. I gawk out the door every time John Kerry and Ted Kennedy walk down the hallway, sit in on any hearing I can get to, and giggle when I hear Trent Lott whistling. I've developed crushes on Joe Biden, Chuck Hagel and Amy Klobuchar. It's not that I see anyone as important, really, the entire Congress is a shame, but I still love it. A lot.

So last night I did something I've always wanted--I hosted a State of the Union party. And it was great. Many snickers from all parties involved, very little talking OVER Bush (which is REALLY annoying and has always happened at other SOTU parties I've been too). I was really excited. I feel as though I've fully embraced my politico self and its wonderful. When I was in York I loved being surrounded by others who got excited by the political process and by political research. I didn't think I would be able to find it once I left. And while I have yet to really feel as thought I have, I know I'm making progress. And it's pretty awesome.

No comments: