Friday, January 26, 2007

More Strange Happenings on H Street

As mentioned previously, I live just off H Street. H Street isn't a BAD neighborhood, per se, but it isn't a GREAT neighborhood either. There are a lot of bums and smelly people that hang out on street corners and general harassment for little white girls such as my roommate and myself is pretty common. On the plus side, I am constantly reading about things the long-time residents are doing to promote the area and make it safer. Go H Street!

The most recent push is to ban 'singles'. For the uninitiated, such as myself, this is confusing: only couples can live on H Street? What is someone gets divorced? If there's a nasty break-up, who gets to stay--the one who finds a new mate the fastest? But no, no, these singles refer to ALCOHOL. Single beers and 40s and banning the sale of them at grocery/convenience stores. Here's the link. While I am a general fan of reducing the number of smelly bums on the street, and have never been a fan of buying 'singles', I'm not entirely convinced that this is a productive way to combat the problem.

But the BEST PART of that article is at the end--the Red and Black is trying to offer haircuts+a shot for $12!!!! Wooohooo!!! I'm all over it.

No comments: